Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Rent World: The Gauntlet

So I don't mean to harp on the subject of Rent: the mediocre musical movie but I turned on MTV for like 10 minutes today and I thought about it again. They were airing The Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Gauntlet II. Am I the only one that can see similarities between the Real Worlders and the characters of Rent? Neither seem to feel the need to get a real job, instead settle for groveling for money through sad acts of killing dogs, stripping/fighting/sexing on tv, hotwiring ATMs and such. Both seem to feel they are more important to society as a whole and that their lives actually have positive impacts on others outside there little circles. Both just need to go out and get a Real job and step into the Real World. Plus if you throw in Judd Winick (who does not do the challenges) from the San Fran. season and his ongoing devotion/fascination with Perdro, you have the AIDS and gay themes there too as he constantly incorporates these into his pop culture writings.

Maybe it's jus the 12am caffeine thinking here.

2 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jarrett... quit not working but saying you need to work... pack up the brown paper bag of workpapers you never really looked at... and go to bed.
- MP

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Blue Eyes said...

This is just a general random thought about the real world. If I ever made it onto the show, I think I would probably be the most boring character ever. I would go to work, and come home and lock myself in my room to avoid my annoying housemates. They would hate me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home